Prime vs zoom for travel photo

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pandatoday Forum Member • Posts: 78
Prime vs zoom for travel photo

Hello,

I have a Sony A6300 with sigma 19 and 30 + Sony 18-135.

I traveled a lot recently and tried to switch from prime for many occasions including street, architecture, ... And to be honest I always had to go back to my 18-135. Primes are for me just not for travel photography.

Just to explain my feeling, no polemics. I know you are supposed to change prime lens to get the best result depending on the scene. The problem is that it's just not possible in real life as the scene is live and changing and your ideas are yet to be defined AFTER checking best range.

For example : you take a picture of a church but at the same time there is a scene of 10 secs where a guy in the street you want to shoot with the church behind. I should then have to consider the below routine:

1. Open my bag 2. Get the lens and change it 3. As I shoot manual only select aperture and shutter speed.... Meaning at least 30 seconds for a pro, 2 minutes for me because I am newb and want to avoid dust

But all of this is probably a lot of time for a normal human being to move from 10, 19, 30, 70.... Depending on the scene.

Guys, this is just not feasible for travel photo.

You have a scene and many tourists moving around, taking selfies.... There is a dressed guy or lady walking with nice local dress during a festival. How can you wait too much of time selecting a lens unless you run just in front of them pushing out the selfies guys with their phoned... ? This is just one example but there are so many: there is someone between you and the church and hurdles make it impossible to get closer; you want to get that detail on the roof but there is this wire (use 70)... Hmmmm what about getting a larger scene (use 18)... Finally I think the 50 might be better... 3 lenses for one photo... 10 minutes at least!

Maybe I'm missing something but the day I used my primes only was just a disaster. And finally looking at the photos done after capture one optimization : is the quality of primes much better without any doubt ? I would just be provocative and answer by a no. I'm just happy for travel photo with my low level noob kit lens. Just wondering now how to use primes.

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow