Safari and camera bags

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP averacpa Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: Safari and camera bags

Roger Engelken wrote:

I spent two weeks in South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe in May 2016. There were six safaris in that time, as well as time in Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, Johannesburg and Pretoria.

One bag is what I took. I had two E-M1 bodies, the 300mm z.Zuiko PRO (if that lens were only for safaris, that would be sufficient for that lens...it is that good), 40-150 PRO, 12-40 PRO and 7-14 PRO and that is all I took on the safaris. We had nine seat Toyota vehicles, so with eight others that was more than sufficient camera gear. Usually I took only three of the four lenses, though always the 300).

The magnificence of the landscape and wildlife is unparalleled, Carrying multiple bags and multiple lenses just bog one down. I personally used the Black Rapid Yeti, which holds two camera setups, for walking about. A very nice setup and not hard on the neck or shoulders, for me at least.

I plan on using a similar setup next month when I head to Egypt, Israel and Jordan. The 300 and 12-40 will stay behind, replaced by the m.zuiko 12-100 and 17 f/1.2.

Most of all, enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the reply.

My problem with multiple cameras handing off my neck is my glasses both prescription and sunglasses.  Out in bright sunlight I have to wear eyeglasses as well as to read the camera menu and settings.  The glasses get in the way when wearing camera straps; a real PITA.

Stringing one camera around my neck is fine, so the question is how to safely dock/protect my other cameras and have them ready for use with minimal hindrance given the probable tight confine of a open or closed vehicle loaded with other people.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow