Safari and camera bags

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
averacpa Regular Member • Posts: 139
Safari and camera bags

Not to beat a repeated subject to death, but I am interested in those who have been on safari, on how they carried/used their cameras/lens in both an open and closed vehicles: single or multiple camera bags, type of bag, etc..

My upcoming safari is in January 2019 and is an extension of a two week cruise along southern Africa (Namibia, South Africa, Maputo-Mozambique) and with four nights post excursion at Kruger.  The cruise will also offer a few day safaris as well at the countries listed above.  Perhaps a total of 5 day/morning excursions from the ship and 9 excursions from the land portion.

Based on prior recommendations and based on my budget and current equipment, I plan on bringing four lenses: Oly f2.8 12-40, 40-150 plus the TC, Pany 100-300 ver 1 and Pany 15 f1.7 (for any night or evening shots) plus 3 bodies: EM1 mkI, GX7 and either EM5 MKII or G85 (leaning towards the EM5 since it shares a the battery with the EM1).

Normally I would travel with all my equipment in the Think Tank Urban Approach 15, but am contemplating a separate holster bag for each camera/lens combo:  EM1 with the 40-150 plus TC, GX7 with the 12-40 and EM5 MKII with the 100-300.  All would go into a small overhead carry-on rolling luggage bag.

My thoughts is to have three camera setups using separate bags for protection and quick access vs using one bag and constantly having to open and extract a camera or end up leaving all three system loose outside (fear of vehicle damage from banging around).

On occasion, while traveling, I carry two camera/lens combo strapped around my neck and I do that only for a short period of time as it is quite uncomfortable (even when the second camera is a GX7 with the Oly 9-18 or a small prime)  and a pain to access as they often get tangled. Trying to avoid that and not planning on bringing a tripod, everything to be handheld.

So what is your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks,

Andrew

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow