Help with Limited 2017 Macbook Pro 13

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Selene Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Help with Limited 2017 Macbook Pro 13

I only know a little bit about Macs because most of my computers are PCs. I am trying to help a friend learn to edit photos, but she seems to have maxed out her 2017 Macbook Pro 13 (it has 8gb of memory and I think 150 gb ssd drive--not sure about the hard drive as I don't know how to tell on Macs). Basically, she cannot run Lightroom except in a limited way and when we were unable to move photos as layers to photoshop. She keeps getting the message that she is out of space. All of her photos are stored on an external hard drive. She barely has anything on the MAC except for Lightroom and Photoshop and the software that came with the computer.

I am guessing we should move the Lightroom catalog to the hard drive, but I am not quite sure how to do that and not sure if that will solve the larger problem. I told her what I thought she needed in requirements, but the person in the Apple store said she should be fine editing photos with what she bought.

I have several questions: Is there anyway to upgrade her laptop with either memory or a larger hard drive?

If not, does it make sense to get an external ssd drive and put lightroom and photoshop on that drive and use it? (Or is there a better solution?)--If so, how do I move LR and PS--just download them again but put them on the external drive?

I have maxed out multiple PCs so I kind of know what to do with them, mostly just keep the files on external drives, but the MAc system makes this less intuitive for me because the main drive is so small. She is dealing with raw files from a Canon 6D, so they are not all that large (at least not compared to my 5dsr files), so it seems strange that she has barely had the computer and it is so maxed out so quickly.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated. I am not sure even where to go with this and my friend's son, who persuaded her to buy the MAC, can't believe that she doesn't have space to edit hundreds of photos.

Thanks for putting up with my very beginner questions, as I am not even sure what I am looking for.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow