Sony a850 images do not match what I saw in the viewfinder

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
clarkt Contributing Member • Posts: 723
Sony a850 images do not match what I saw in the viewfinder

I am a Sony user and I bought a used a850 from a well known online dealer for $498, labeled in 'good condition'. Now using it with 50mm lens and was startled at the images that came out of the camera. They were off-center by around 400 pixels! The image dimensions were correct but the image was around 400 pixels too high in the Landscape mode from what was showing in the viewfinder. I have never seen this before. You can imagine what chaos this caused me at a recent portrait shoot when I rotated the camera to portrait mode. The right side of the subject was getting cut off in the resultant images created but not in the viewfinder.

BTW: I have owned the a700, a900, and a580 and never had such an issue.

I swapped the lens out for a different 50mm and got the same results. Same results with SteadyShot On or Off. Menu setting for ASPC mode is Off.

Please advise. Should I return this camera as defective or is something else going on?

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

Nikon Coolpix A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow