Environmental (wide angle) portraits: which is you favorite lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
M_digicapt Senior Member • Posts: 1,546
Environmental (wide angle) portraits: which is you favorite lens?

For the past month I've been exploring different types of image distortion and creative ways of composing images.

Last week I did an outdoors 'shoot' for a friend and her dog. I used my old manual lenses and focal reducer equivalent to 70mm-200mm FF. Then popped the focally reduced 28mm f2.8 (40mm+/- FF f2) for some night street shooting. The 40mm results were really interesting even (or maybe because) it was more challenging composing the shot because the background wasn't completely blurred. A web search revealed the name Environmental Portrait.

I am/was in the process of buying a fisheye or the SRL Magic 8mm, but it just occurred to me that maybe a fast-ish 10,11 or 12mm manual lens or the Panny 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 might be a better /flexible option. Since I mostly use old telephoto manual lenses, the only native wide lens I have the Oly 14-42mm kit lens. My first impulse was to look up the Rokinon/Samyang because adapted lenses are not common that wide. On the other hand not being familiar with the technique, I thought I asked if there are other options or some other factors I should consider before I buy...

So my questions are:

What lenses are your favorites for enviormental portraits?

Any body using UWA?

Do you think AF is a must? Or does manual focus works well?

Thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow