Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
AiryDiscus Senior Member • Posts: 1,620
Re: Microcontrast

Joofa wrote:

AiryDiscus wrote:

Joofa wrote:

Doctor J wrote:

J A C S wrote:

Actually, at one point only - (0,0) where you get the sum of all pixels. A far better representation can be obtained by subtracting the mean before taking the FT. One can still use a log scale but a much weaker one and get a better idea of the frequency distribution.

Another "optical illusion" comes from the fact that the frequencies are inversely proportional to the detail. A huge part of the FFT plot (aside from a centered square with 1/2 the side) represents a few pixels detail, roughly speaking. Most of the black letters are there.

Exactly! With all his talk of "energy" and "correlation", Joofa is making a huge meal out of stating the bleedin' obvious:

• An image being an array of positive numbers, it has a non-zero average, which appears as a high value at (0, 0). Shifting it to zero mean allows you to see the frequency distribution more clearly.
  • The majority of people aren't photographing grids of regular lines or huge checkerboards - a typical feature we identify visually in a photograph has a wide frequency spectrum.

Sorry, you have little idea what you are talking about. I didn't even mention a single location of (0,0). And, if you just restrict to that location, you don't even have a natural image as that would just mean a uniform gray patch.

Did you even bother to have a look at the image I posted? Was the central white blob isolated to just (0,0)?????

unbelievable stuff you guys come up with. And then project on to me .

Their point is that the value of the Fourier transform of something at the origin (0,0) is equal to the sum/integral of the signal. If the signal has nonzero mean, the value at the origin is inflated relative to the rest of the spectrum.

Yes, I know. But, that hasn't much to do with the issue at hand. The white blob is not a single point.

Now just address the influence of the lens and sensor on the spectrum of the image and nonstationary nature of the variety of scenes in the world...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow