More or less detail?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,007
More or less detail?

I'm sure this has been covered many times in some comments in other praise or troll threads, but I don't want to find them.

If the m43 sensor is currently sitting at 20mp, and it is the maximum so far on some of the m43 bodies as we know, then is a 24mp APS-C  giving more DETAIL in its images? I'd think it can't, as the APS-C sensor is bigger, and the additional 4 million pixels is basically covering the extra space on the APS-C sensor (I didn't do the math to find out what a proportional increase is), or at least it is way too close to tell...right? Wrong?

Then factor in a FF sensor and a lot of those are at 24mp also, so how does detail equate there? Aren't they farther apart so some diagonal lines on a m43 are more jaggy on a 24mp FF sensor? Or does it just not work that way, and yeah, the ratio of the image is different on the APS-C and FF, so some differences there, but still...

And yeah, i know noise is also a factor, but taking that out of the equation at iso 200 up to a low level, the noise shouldn't be that big of a factor to overcome, right? And the noise is some crazy technical deal of the distance between pixels and the power in each and how that power bleeds over and causes some signal to noise ratio thing.

So would a detail deal from a m43 sensor be compared to a 42mp plus sensor on FF? Or is that just not reality for some reason?

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow