Best lens for night time / landscape photography

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Jeff Peterman
MOD Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,812
Tripod

Opinions vary widely on what a "good" tripod will cost you,

They vary even more on the definition on a "good" tripod. I have several, tripods, some cost as little as $30 and they all get used. When I need something light weight just to hold the camera for some snaps, the $30 one is fine: it doesn't have to steady my 5D with a 70-200 mm lens under high winds, and it is perfectly good enough to hold my SL1 with an 85mm lens and a flash attached. I have an $80 Gorilla tripod that has legs that are great for attaching it to a chair back or another fixed item.

Yes, if I was using a tripod to shoot outdoors, in a challenging environment, trying to steady a long lens for a long shoot, I'd want a bigger, expensive, tripod, and if I needed to carry it long distance I'd want it to be carbon fiber (increasing the cost any more), but sometimes a tripod under $100 is fine and anything more expensive is over kill.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow