Advance Mac Keeper Flash Player Scam.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dave Braun Contributing Member • Posts: 525
Advance Mac Keeper Flash Player Scam.

I was looking at a page on eBay UK when the page disappeared and I got a popup that told me my Flash Player was out of date. It had logo just like Adobe Flash Player logo ( black folder icon with the F )

Clicked on it and it downloaded very fast as I don't have Fibre Broadband but didn't think anything of it. Clicked on file in Downloads and first progress bar popped up just the same as usual. iMac asked for my password so I put that in and clicked Run. Instal box was a bit different but just thought Adobe had done a redesign.

As soon as it had installed I didn't get Flash Player but a popup window that pretended to scan my Mac and tell me it had found a number of faults. When I tried to close it I got a fly out at top right of screen with a picture of a woman with headset and a US phone number.

I found the app in the apps list in finder and moved to trash and Emptied Trash, also found it in Safari Extensions so trashed that and also cleared History for today. But now my Home Page wont load, dosn't  even show in web address bar and if I open a new tab all the logo tabs for my websites that I visit are gone.

So just did a Scan with Malware Bites it it found PUP. Advance Mac Cleaner about 6 items I think so deleted and will do restart after I post this.

I have now updated Flash Player via Flash icon in System Preferences and got the real Adobe download which has not been redesigned and took longer to download as expected.

So if you get this and it downloads real fast it's probably not the real thing.

Thanks for reading please watch out for this nasty scam. I won't be back here till tomorrow evening.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow