During MP Wars, At What Point Did EF 20/2.8 USM Fall Behind?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,209
During MP Wars, At What Point Did EF 20/2.8 USM Fall Behind?

I understand that the EF 20mm f/2.8 USM lens is no longer the go-to lens when one wants a high-performing 20mm on today’s high-MP bodies, but, for those who want to use its famously complex distortion artistically, this EF 20mm lens may well remain useful.

Jarmo Pohjaniemi, for example, apparently used the EF 20/2.8, until he acquired 5Ds R cameras, and found that he had to upgrade to the EF 11-24L lens. (Be aware that his site is NSFW!)

I understand that there are better lenses for shooting such things as landscapes, at 20mm, on 50MP cameras. The 16-35IS is on my short list, for that reason. The 11-24L is on my wish list, too, but its weight and bulk works against my aging knees, if I want to move very far with several lenses. Cost is a factor, too; it would be difficult to justify adding an 11-24L this year.

I keep most of my older cameras, when I upgrade, so still have a functioning 5D, at 12.8 MP. (I also have a 5D, which regurgitated its mirror, and may or may not return to service.) I have a 1Ds Mark III, which I actually acquired fairly recently, with 21MP. My 5Ds R was acquired in early 2016, and my 5D IV joined the “team” this year.

I would appreciate thoughts/discussion. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

I wore a police badge and pistol, and made evidentiary images at night, incorporating elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. (Retired January 2018.) I enjoy using Canon and Nikon gear.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +49 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow