SD card too hot to even touch?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,725
SD card too hot to even touch?

I have a Sony SF-G128 UHS II card and UHS II reader, and though I love the speed when transferring, I'm actually concerned it's getting too hot. I'm familiar with seeing high speed solid state devices heating up, some even to the point of getting hot... but this card is reaching a completely different level of burning hot. I literally dropped the card last night after ejecting it. It was too hot to touch, and could definitely burn human skin. It felt like touching a lightbulb that's been on all day, and that was after letting it sit for a good few minutes after the transfer too! This all seems outside of the threshold of what I would expect from an SD card...

Has anyone else here experienced SD cards getting THIS hot?! Is that anything to be concerned about outside of having to be more careful when handling?

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow