Long term viability

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,665
Long term viability

I know that as much as I love my 4/3s and m43s gear, I believe m43s is no longer viable as a system, long term. m43s was really a response to an economic situation that has largely been solved.  That situation being the high manufacturing costs of image sensors.

I believe that eventually, Olympus will be forced to come out with a larger format system to stay competitive.  I believe It won't be "Full Frame" but instead will be a near full frame size with the familiar 4:3 aspect ratio.

The reason I say this is that I believe Olympus already has a line of quality 4/3s Aspect ratio lens designs capable of projecting a near FF image that wouldn't take all that much 'tweaking' to work for such a camera.  Those are the original "Tele-centric"  4/3s lenses.

It is my understanding, that the term "tele-centric" was marketing speak for, "we hedged our bets, in case 4/3s doesn't take off!".  In other words, Tele-Centric means those lenses can project a much larger image than needed by the 4/3s sensor.

Now I'm old enough that I don't see myself seriously moving to a new system any time in the short or mid term, and well, LONG term, certainly really long term . . . doesn't seem worth planning for!  But I do believe this will be a move Olympus will be forced to make eventually.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow