3 Yonguno 216s for studio how good would they be?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,227
Re: 3 Yonguno 216s for studio how good would they be?

I don't shoot video so I won't comment on whether these are sufficient for video.

They are totally insufficient for still portraiture.

Constant lights bright enough for portraiture are typically so bright that they cause squinting and tearing. Being the portrait subject with constant lighting is not a pleasant job.

For portraiture you want to be able to use the camera's minimum ISO, an aperture in the f/2.8-f/16 range, and a shutter speed fast enough to make subject movement and camera shake minimum problems. If you want to do portraiture then you want studio strobes. Strobes provide the power you need to meet these requirements and a modeling light to show you the light on the subject, which is critical.

Don't waste your money on cheap low quality studio gear. I did that the first time I bought studio gear and most of what I bought quickly wound up in the trash bin, a total waste of my money. The second time I got smarter, studied and asked lots of questions before buying good quality budget priced gear that has been going strong since 2010.  Today the budget priced studio gear is much wider than it was for me in 2010.

I wrote this to help other photographers avoid my costly mistake.

Sailorblue - Equipment Guide for Setting up a Small Home Portrait-Glamor Studio

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow