Star trails with Live Composite question

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zuikowesty
zuikowesty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,925
Star trails with Live Composite question

Hello all,

I am mostly off grid at the moment, so apologies for not searching for the answer to this one: is there a way to tell the overall time of a live composite exposure of star trails aside from gauging the arc length? I set up my E-M5ii outside my tent a few days ago, set for 10s at ISO 800 f/2.8, and then fell asleep. When I awoke some time later, the battery was dead. I only had my 12-40, but it was just a shot of the sky through the trees above my tent. There were a LOT of stars (remote area with no visible lights anywhere) so it's actually hard to tell how long the star arcs are as they run together.

This is only my second attempt at star trails, but I plan to bring my 7-14 next week when I return (location is secret, but near Desolation Sound, BC). Appreciate any tips on best settings to use.

I've not had time to follow anything online this summer, as I've spent a lot of time on the water and various other off grid locations... retirement life is rough

Here's the sample photo, which was my view through a tent without a fly for 15 days so far...

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +11 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow