Microcontrast

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
AiryDiscus Senior Member • Posts: 1,620
Re: Thank you all!

57even wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

First, let me define the term: microcontrast is the contrast at high spatial frequencies. With that definition in place, a few questions:

1. If System A has a higher MTF-50 than System B, does that mean that it will have greater resolution at all other contrast levels? For example, will the MTF-10 and MTF-90 of System A also be greater than System B?
  2. If (1) is true, does that necessarily imply the converse? That is, the contrast of System A will be higher than the contrast of System B at any given resolution?
  3. Does halation affect the MTF-50 measurement? If so, does the effect of halation result in greater degradation as the contrast level of the MTF measurement increases?
  4. Repeat (3) with veiling flare.

In the end, I wish to know if the term "microcontrast" as defined describes the photo in a photographically meaningful manner any differently than an MTF-50 measurement does. That is, if System A has a higher MTF-50 than System B, does that automatically mean that the "microcontrast" of System A is greater than the "microcontrast" of System B?

Apologies for not chiming back in earlier. I want to say I very much appreciate all the great responses! It's going to take me a bit to think of intelligent questions to ask.

My goal is to give/create a more precise interpretation of "microcontrast", even if it cannot be quantified as a scalar, as implied in the OP. One might question the utility of such a goal, but given that the term is often used in connection to the visual properties of a photo, I thought it worthwhile to define the term more precisely in a manner that is consistent with what people are talking about when using the term.

Contrast level at 5 cycles per degree in a standard sized image would be a good start

We have reached a simplistic SQF and caught up to the 1980s...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow