Canon to Sony switchers - what do I need to know?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dylthedog Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Canon to Sony switchers - what do I need to know?

Hi Folks!

I have an RX1r MkII, so I'm not completely new to Sony, but I'm thinking of swapping my 5D mkIII and trading in my Canon glass for an A7R III/A7 III and a few lenses. I say a few, the Sony stuff is pretty expensive.

I'm thinking for what I trade in I can get equivalent E-mount 16-35 and 24-105 and a single body as a start (plus some fresh cash of course).

I do love primes though. I love my 100 f2.8L II, and also the consumer 85 f1.8, and 50 f1.4 for that matter. Replacing those with decent Sony glass is cost prohibitive though. The Sony 50mm also looks huge...

Plus I just can't justify replacing my Canon 70-200 2.8L IS that will also go (sadly - it's an amazing lens).

So if I go for the A7RIII as I'm minded to (the A7III isn't ruled our - will try both), are those two going to give me prime withdrawal symptoms?

I'm a fairly general shooter for personal use, but do a few weddings a year plus quite a bit of corporate stuff, and also the odd video on top (also corporate).

Appreciate any advice you can give!

Cheers

Dylthedog's gear list:Dylthedog's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Sony a7R Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow