tvstaff
OP tvstaff Senior Member • Posts: 2,148
Re: New Sensor / Colors Not Right

John Sheehy wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Hi,

Had the sensor replaced in one of my 1DXMKII's and the colors are all off.

Off how? A slight color tint? Completely wrong hues? A picture is worth a thousand vague words.

Ill post pictures later. However, tint and color are off as are saturation and brightness. Ive been using 1DX and 1DXMKII's as an original adopter of both platforms and have multiple current bodies of each. I only shoot RAW and Ive never experienced this before. An original 1DX has far superior AWB than the 1DXMKII I received back.

Is it possible that it needs to be calibrated or is there a possibility that the sensor is just off??

There's no way to tell with this minimalist information, including how critical you as an individual are, of color accuracy.

Even when using gray cards or color charts or 18% lens caps everything swings green or purple. Also color saturation is so reduced in some instances that Im at +40. This was and is never required with any other 1DXMKIi I own.

So if you WB based on something in the shadows, the highlights go green or purple, and visa versa? That would mean that the black point of the RAW files is not what the converters think it is.

Can Canon calibrate this or it it inherent to the converter?

If you were stuck with a camera that was not covered by manufacturer problems, and would have to pay for the repair yourself, you might get around it using a converter like RAWTherapee with its blackpoint manual override, and in the advanced calibration section of Adobe converters, there is something called "Shadow Tint", IIRC, and this can correct that too, but with less of range of correction, most likely.

Canon CPS did the work so I know Im safe.  They are the best in the industry for standing behind their customers

-- hide signature --

Feel Always Humble - "FAH" - You'll Learn More
http://www.KissMyKite.com

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow