Likely switching to G9; have a boat load of Nikon gear. What should I keep?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FoodieMike New Member • Posts: 2
Likely switching to G9; have a boat load of Nikon gear. What should I keep?

Hi,

Over the years my photography interests have included everything from landscape to wildlife to street to food photography.

I've convinced myself that I want to switch to the G9 (and perhaps a GX8 or GX9). Initially this was for video production but after seeing a video review of the joystick and single point focus of the G9....well that pushed me over the edge. I often use either manual focus or single point auto.

I run two blogs...one recipe/food based and the other gardening. I don't write/create all of the content, but I do some and will no longer have a day job (US Army) in a couple of months so that will free up my time to create more of my own content.

Also, I'm likely going to create one or more big travel blogs.

So I expect my shooting to be 80% stills and 20% video. Having a mic port on the G9 also solidifies my choice in this body (why couldn't the GX8 have 5 axis IBIS OR the GX9 have a mic input).

I realize off camera sound recording is better...but for travel purposes...I want simple (and good enough).

Anyhow, I digress. I have lots of Nikon gear. Should I keep any of this for backup, low light, or for adaptation to the M43 system?

• Nikon D700 (this was a revalation for me for low light)
  • 2x Nikon D5200
  • Nikon D80
  • Nikkor 28-70 F/2.8 (the older screw drive version...love this lens).
  • Nikkor 85mm F/1.4 (the older screw drive version...rarely used but phenomenal)
  • Nikkor 35 mm F/2.0 manual focus pancake (love this lens for the street...eye sharp stopped down a bit..tiny and not intrusive)
  • Nikkor 80-200mm F/2.8 pushpull (barely used...hate it)
  • Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8 (the non VR version....not use much any more, but an exceptional lens)
  • Nikon 18-200 mm (VR version 1)
  • Sigma 18-50mm F 2.8
  • Sigma 10-20 mm F.28
  • 3x SB 800 speedlights
  • 2x Qflash system (bought used in various chunks...rarely used by me...went with continuous Dracast LEDs for food photography).

Does anything standout as being worth keeping?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5200 Nikon D700 Nikon D80 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow