Iceland again! Putting together new (to me) kit...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,112
Iceland again! Putting together new (to me) kit...

So I am probably going to Iceland for a photo tour/workshop either this November or February (haven't decided on the date yet). I was there with my wife in 2015 and have longed to return for a strictly photographic tour, where a "pro" can help me in the areas I would like to grow in (seeing/composition, astro/aurora, and post processing), and of course the landscape and light are incredible there. I am now trying to get a kit together that will meet my needs for my style of shooting. I do want to obtain as much WR gear as possible (no need to start a debate about this; it's my personal preference if I can afford it), so I'm looking to change up my current kit for the following:

-Change X-t20 to X-T2: there are some good used prices for the X-T2, and it has some features that suit me better, such as RAF files in Film Sim Bracketing, dual card slots, bigger EVF (loved it on the X-T1), and of course WR. If Meike releases their battery grip before I go then all the better too.

-Change 10-24mm for the 16-55mm. Controversial, I know. Right now I don't have a "kit"/standard zoom. I really want the 16-80 f4 but it likely won't be released on time for me. All reviews of The Brick are generally glowing as far as its IQ and overall performance are concerned, but I'd have to sell my 10-24mm. I recently purchased a new Samyang 12mm f2, which I've only used for astro so far, but I'm thinking that and the 16-55 should give me enough WA options. I find when I use the 10-24 I'm actually not using the zoom feature much. I was holding on to it in case I got into real estate photography but that is unlikely to happen any time soon. Thoughts?

-Change XC 50-230mm for the XF 55-200. Yes, I prefer the manual aperture ring and OIS switch over the menu-dependent XC lens. I know it's not WR either, and the optical performance between the two lenses is supposed to be similar, so the decision would mainly be about ergonomics/ease of use, especially in a harsh climate when quick adjustments are preferred. Thoughts?

-New to me: 90mm f2. I am getting more into telephoto landscape, and from reviews I've read, this seems to be a perfect lens for that. I can't afford the 80mm macro, but can afford a used 90mm.

Anyway, if there are any helpful opinions you have I'd welcome them.

-- hide signature --

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways." - Psalm 119:37

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm 50-230mm II +2 more
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow