Lack of AF/MF switch focus shift problem

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SQmountain
SQmountain New Member • Posts: 6
Lack of AF/MF switch focus shift problem

Hi,

I'm new to sony cameras so apologies if this is an obvious question.

I'm a still life, product and advertising photographer and will often spend hours photographing one item. In that time, I usually have to change batteries. I've noticed with some of my Sony lenses that this will cause the focus to shift. This is quite an annoying problem if I'm in the middle of creating a complex composite and the focus shifts.

I have three lenses; 90mm macro, 55mm f1.8, and 16-35 f4. The 90mm macro is the only lens with the option to set AF/MF on the lens itself, otherwise I have to do it using the camera body. With the 90mm, if the lens is set to MF then the focus does not shift. If the lens is set to AF and the camera body is set to MF, then the focus will shift when changing batteries.

On both the 55mm f1.8 and 16-35 f4 the focus will shift when changing batteries, even if the camera is set to MF.

Clearly, this issue is related to lenses which do not have an AF/MF switch; at least it seems that way from my relatively small lens pool.

Is anyone aware of a fix for this?

Is there a setting within the camera which will stop this occurring on lenses without a AF/MF switch?

Can anyone confirm using other lenses that do have a AF/MF switch that this issue is not present?

In terms of cameras, I have an A7Riii and A7Rii.

Any help would be much appreciated.

SQmountain's gear list:SQmountain's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow