Lumix speedlight flash add on

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 30,557
Re: Lumix speedlight flash add on

Scotsmarc wrote:

Hi Folks,

Joined the site today. Recently purchased a lumix FZ2000 and I love it so far. I now want to purchase an external flash and i am a bit confused as to what is compatible.

It seems that older models could only work with selected Panasonic and 3rd party models. Is this still the case or will any hot shoe flash work?

Thanks in advance

Marc

Any flash of any brand that is variously labelled as Olympus - Panasonic - Leica - Four Thirds - Micro Four Thirds compatible are all the same, as they all use the same TTL logic in any of those three brand cameras that have a hot-shoe.

No other brand compatible TTL flash will work as TTL because Olympus/Panasonic/Leica use their own system.

Other flashes will work if you use them as simple manual power flashes or self-auto flashes if they have that feature, but it's always a pain to match all the settings and waste some time taking a test shot or two. The properly compatible flashes talk to the camera and get the settings right.

Stick to the TTL compatible models and life is easy.

Oh yes, and if playing with flash off camera for macro etc, then a Canon flash extender cable works nicely as it has all the contacts in the right places and is usually cheaper than the Panasonic or Olympus ones.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow