Amazing no frills, daylight lens

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Gizmo89
Gizmo89 Regular Member • Posts: 188
Amazing no frills, daylight lens

Previous reviewers have it right, and this lens does live up to the hype.  It is sharp wide open at all focal lengths - in bright daylight.  This lens is slow, with a variable aperture between 4.5-6.3, so you will need plenty of light.  But the autofocus is near instantaneous.  It is supposedly quieter, but I don't shoot video, so I can't tell the difference between this and an AF-S model.  It works perfectly with my D5600, but it won't work with my D3100.  But for the price, this is a great daylight lens.

Pros:

Sharp at all focal points, even wide open at 6.3 at 300mm, which is amazing.

Focuses quickly and for all intents and purposes, instantaneously

VR works very, very well.  I've taken some shots that I was sure was going to turn out blurred, but to my surprise, they were crisp.

Ability to override the autofocus by just turning the focusing ring at the front.

Seems reasonably well made, and while it has some heft to it, it is light enough for my needs.

Cons:

Slow, with the fastest aperture being 4 at 70mm and 6.3 at 300mm

No frills - no control to turn on manual or autofocus.  No button to turn on/off VR.  And the lens mount is plastic.  Could it have hurt Nikon to add a little metal to the mount?  Even my inexpensive 35mm 1.8G DX and 50mm 1.8G have metal mounts.  Nikon must have faith in this plastic.

Cropped image.  Sharp even wide open at 6.3 at 300mm

Wide open at 300mm. I was sure this would be blurred considering I was riding a lift and couldn't keep the camera steady.

At 300mm while swinging on the lift

Gizmo89's gear list:Gizmo89's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
Lens • Nikon F (DX)
Announced: Aug 17, 2016
Gizmo89's score
Average community score
Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon D3100 Nikon D5600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow