An extreme low light example of Df

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
graytrekker
graytrekker Regular Member • Posts: 324
An extreme low light example of Df

I thought I'd post this from an "older" camera on the almost eve of the release of the new Nikon ML and that whole "next hundred years" stuff:

A little explanation of this photo:

I am not posting this for its artistic quality or my Lightroom prowess (still very much of a beginner), but to demonstrate what I think is an example of the amazing low light capability of the Df, and presumably the D4.

I took this photo of my granddaughter sleeping in her crib with my Df + my small Nikkor H-C Auto 50mm, f2, non-AI, which came used on a used Nikkormat I bought in 1976.  The photo was taken at night and the light "source" was only a ceiling light of 60 or 75 W at the top of the stairs.  Her crib was inside a bedroom there, in the shadow, around a corner from the direct light, about 20-30 feet away.  With the bedroom door open, I did not have enough light to really see her in the OVF, let alone focus.  I set the ISO to "HI", which the manual lists as a value of 204,800, steadied the camera on the top of the crib and used a tape measure to set the focal distance on the lens and snapped the shutter.  I do not remember the aperture or shutter speed and I am not sure I had that manually entered into the camera correctly.

Even though the WB was set to incandescent light, the photo came out only slightly dark and rather yellow.  This photo represents very little Lightroom processing - adjusting color and exposure only as needed (no NR).  Sure, its a little grainy (it was ISO 205K, after all), and I am sure others with more Lightroom experience could do a better job - but basically, this camera was able to take this photo in near darkness.  I swear I could do a portrait shot by moonlight!   (Hmm - there is a full moon coming up....)

PS - sorry about the watermark - I thought I got rid of that in Lightroom.

graytrekker's gear list:graytrekker's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +5 more
Nikon D4 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow