Rip van Winkle and his new G85

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan2143 New Member • Posts: 1
Rip van Winkle and his new G85

Before I bought my G85 a month ago, my previous ILC was a Nikon D70s. The Nikon is a 2004-vintage 6MP DSLR, and I took some amazing pictures with it. I'm a pretty technical guy, but I find myself, slogging through the array of features and possibilities in the G85.

The user's manual describes all the controls and settings but doesn't provide any context. I don't need to be spoonfed, but I think only lots of shooting and experience will help me learn to get good results from this astonishing supercomputer-with-a-lens.

Here is my appeal to your wisdom. The G85 came with the 12 - 60 kit lens, workable but unimpressive. I'm looking for a midpriced telephoto with power zoom. I would like to shoot video with the G85, but can't get smooth results when I turn the zoom ring manually. Power zoom is out there, but seems hard to find and doesn't get a lot of attention (or so it seems).

1. Can someone recommend a good power zoom telephoto? 40 to 140mm neighborhood?

2. I have just jumped to M43 and a camera that's generations ahead of my old one. If anyone else has navigated this territory, any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow