D750 + Tamron 28-300 = Hummingbird moth

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
grepper Regular Member • Posts: 176
D750 + Tamron 28-300 = Hummingbird moth

Just about all summer I've been shooting almost exclusively with the Tamron 150-600 G2 because it's so addictive. I decided to go wild and actually switch lenses! I know! Wild!

So, I slapped on the Tamron 28-300 mid range tele.

It's funny.  I've seen a number of times here when a poster will say something like they have a bunch of stubby primes and a 28-300 and want to sell a few of them to get money for other equipment. They ask what lenses they should keep and what they should sell. Almost invariably people will tell them the only lens a real photographer needs is a 14mm f1.2 or similar and that they should sell their 28-300 or just pitch it in the garbage.  Now, I'm not a pro and probably don't have a clue, but I totally fail to understand that line of thinking.

I like the flexibility of a mid range zoom. There are many shots I would have missed without that extra reach.  It does well for both near true macro shots as well as for more general photography down to @ 28mm. It is relatively light, flexible, versatile and takes great images.

True my 105mm macro lens would have resolved a tiny bit more detail, but unless I'm sitting in the basement peeping at pixels it matters not. This 28-300 does just fine and when printed any difference is irrelevant.

I like my 28-300! I would have missed the attached shot of a beautiful Hummingbird moth if I had some stubby prime on-board, or even my 105 mm macro lens.

What a beautiful creature.

Hummingbird moth

Hey kids!  If you know what type of bee this is please post!  Thanks.

grepper's gear list:grepper's gear list
Nikon D750 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow