Why don’t DSLRs have an EVF in addition to the OVF?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,027
Why don’t DSLRs have an EVF in addition to the OVF?

Electronic viewfinders or EVFs are now small, inexpensive and of very good quality. So why not incorporate them into DSLRs that have a Live View and/or Video option instead of forcing the use of the rear LCD? I think adding an EVF to DSLRs would make them more user friendly and would boost their flagging sales.

Some advantages of adding an EVF to a DSLR, (feel free to add more)

1. Composing in Live View would be much easier in bright light.
  2. Shooting video would be easier and more stable if the camera was held to the eye.
  3. Manual focusing could be done in Live View with the camera held to the eye.
  4. Review of images or video could be done in the brightest light and offered automatically after the shot without even pushing a button.
  5. Menus could be easily seen in bright light.
  6. Shooting parameters and menu items could be enlarged for easier viewing,( which is a welcome feature for those with less than perfect vision.)
  7. Rear LCD could be turned off when shooting in low light venues without losing its functionality.

There may be other advantages to adding an EVF to a DSLR as well, and with so little innovation added to DSLRs for so long now, I think it’s time to shake things up a bit by adding EVFs to DSLRs. I am surprised that it has not been done already since Live View has been a feature of DSLRs for quite a while now.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow