Three weeks of learning photography - what would you do?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP j_eldritch Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: Three weeks of learning photography - what would you do?

bobn2 wrote:

Here's the thing. The most important thing in photography is the eye for the shot. Most cameras can operate themselves perfectly adequately automatically. Many photographers obsess about technical skills, mainly because they don't have that eye for the shot.

So, my advice is set your camera to auto, go out and take lots of photos, then see what you think they're missing. It might be that you do need to gen up on the technical side, in which case, so so (but take care, because many of the free web tutorials, including ones recommended by some other posters, are rubbish). Or, it might be that the automatic is doing OK for you, in which case, don't bother (unless you want to brag to other photographers about how good you are at 'exposure' - they are the only ones who will be interested, normal people don' care).

This is really useful advice, thank you.

I spent a few years shooting on auto, and then on a recent hiking trip I met a photography tutor who said I had a decent eye and ran me through the manual controls for the first time. From there on I took some better photos of my trip, which is part of why I've got more into photography and am wanting to learn more about everything. But I get that the technical side isn't everything, or the most important thing. I just want to learn to take better photographs!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow