Why I love the flip and rotate screen vs the simply flip

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 35,459
Re: Plug in articulations

jennajenna wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Tommi K1 wrote:

Ab Latchin wrote:

I was shooting the other day on set and had to get some top view shots.

Well, up I pop onto a step latter and reach over the shot... between the IBIS and the screen I was good to go.

Risking life and limb for the shot!

If camera manufacturers should so something, it is to copy the Fuji X-T2 screen. It is best that there is ever made.

Don’t need it - that screen is for FAS enthusuasts only who need FAS on steriods. In one blow you take a simple tilt and add yet another complication.

The best solution is to make the screen a plug in - then users could specify which type of articulation suited them for any camera - they could even have both types optionally and just plug in the one that suited on the day.

quoted for wrongness. full flip adds huge measure of screen protection when turning it inward.

Maybe I am just more careful with my camera gear ...

But being into lcd bearing cameras since about 2001 and countless cameras - far more than I would be willing to admit and beyond guessing - I have had no issues with lcd damage with screens that don’t “fold in” for protection.  Even such inward folding screens only give protection if actually folded inwards and are just as vulnerable as any other screen when their surface is exposed.  The gorilla glass on lcd screens is actually very hard and would take a significant knock by a hard object to show any real damage.

Zillions of moble phone users don’t seem to need to fold in their lcd screen for protection - even though I admit that you can (or could) buy them with hard fold-over covers.  Most current users are quite relaxed with exposed lcd screen on their phones.

Furthermove constant folding inwards where this is possible leads to the FAS screen twist and shuffle dance which is the cause of most irritation to tilt screen fanciers - the tilt screen never gets in the way and quietly exists until it is needed - in fact it is easy to forget that the tilt is actually possible until that shot comes up where it suddenly becomes very useful.

In the interests of full disclosure I did have the glare coating on a Sony NEX6 tilt screen wear and start to look ugly - but this was a well known fault of Sony screens at the time and not a fault of other brand screens - the coating was too soft and would have worn off if the screen was turned outwards for any amount of time.  Sony fixed it in later models.  Furthermore even if the anti-glare coating was wearing the screen underneath showed no sign of damage.

Therefore I am happy that FAS screens can be folded in for protection but I personally have never found a need for this or even the plastic “screen protectors” that some feel they need to fit.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow