Why I love the flip and rotate screen vs the simply flip

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tommi K1 Senior Member • Posts: 5,425
Re: Why I love the flip and rotate screen vs the simply flip

BagCarryingDad wrote:

Albert Valentino wrote:

Mark Thornton wrote:

Most tilt screens will tilt up 90 degrees, which would seem sufficient for that use case.

That is what I was thinking,

there is nothing about getting this shot, exif states 17mm lens, that could not have been done with w regular titly LCD or, since it was a wide lens, done wiithout any LCD.

Personally, I strongly prefer the titly screen and hate FAS - one of the two reasons why went for the mark I EM1 instead of the mark II. The other reason was price ūüėČ

Depends entirely what you use it for! Shooting wildlife from ground-level in strong light, an articulated screen can be turned to avoid glare as much as possible. Both have their uses.

As one who shoots a lot from ground level in bright light, the tilt is superior to the side articulating one. You get

• Lined viewfinder with the lens
  • Easy to handle lens as left side of the camera with left hand
  • Camera body (and left/right wrist) shadowing the screen from almost every angle
  • Faster open/close mechanics
  • Easier touch operations.
  • A additional support point to your right wrist if shooting one handed
  • Smaller camera size
  • Less risky to get damaged (better protection by being behind the camera than extended out)
  • Possibility to use L-brackets and external microphones or video recorders etc, any cable management really. 
  • possibility to repair the screen cheaper and faster than repair the whole body if damaging the viewfinder hinges.
  • Nicer and easier way to operate camera operations, playback etc. 

When does the side articulating screen come better?

• When you shoot above your head vertically and downwards about 45-50 degrees.
  • When you shoot on ground level (camera on ground basically) and camera is vertically positioned and pointing 20-30 degrees upwards.

And in in such cases, turn On the WiFi for remote release with Live View, pull smartphone out of pocket and use it as a screen in front of your face nicely for accurate framing etc. 
It is just so much easier to get tilting screen than go for side articulating for very few niche cases where it would benefit and otherwise be just on the way.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow