Three weeks of learning photography - what would you do?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
FingerPainter Senior Member • Posts: 7,318
Re: Three weeks of learning photography - what would you do?

bobn2 wrote:

davidedric wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

davidedric wrote:

Have a look at the free tutorials here: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

They will give you a good grounding in the basics (and you can safely ignore anyone who cries out that they are fundamentally mistaken).

That site is full of fundamental errors. That's a fact. Whether he can 'safely ignore' that fact or not depends on how much he wants to be mistaken in the future.

Sorry, Bob, but that's where we will continue to disagree. I think that it is better to get started with an easy to understand and good enough tutorial, and refine later. You don't. OK?

That's where you're wrong. I strongly agree that it's good to get started with an easy to understand and good enough tutorial and refine later.

All I said is that site is full of fundamental errors. It contains absolutely basic errors about the technical side of photography, which, for a site devoted to teaching people the technical side of photography, is unforgivable.

So do we all agree that CiC contains some fundamental errors, and that the point of disagreement is whether those errors matter to a beginner's learning? Yes? Good.

I understand that Bob is a professional educator. We also have a person on this site who teaches photography courses at the post-secondary level and who has talked about having to take time to un-teach the errors of the sort promulgated by CiC.

IDK what David's background is, but unless we find out that he's a professor of pedagogy, I think I'll go with the professional educators' view on the detriments of a fundamentally flawed conceptual model as a foundation to learning.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow