Any Recommended Birds-In-Flight Resources?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cyuill2007 Contributing Member • Posts: 602
Any Recommended Birds-In-Flight Resources?

Hello!

I have been taking bird photographs for around 20 years. They have been mostly of perched birds, or of birds doing things in a particular spot, and I have gotten results that I am pleased with for the most part. I have lately been trying to capture more photos of birds in flight, with mostly frustrating results. I have been able to take sharp photos of slower, bigger flying birds, such as great blue herons when they take off or land. But smaller, swifter birds has been somewhat of a challenge. I have recently tried taking pictures of a local group of Cooper's Hawks in flight, but have had a real problem with getting them in focus, even when I anticipate when they are leaving their perch. The best I have been able to do is get slightly out-of-focus shots. Shutter speeds usually start at around 1/1000 s and go up.

It would be easy to blame the equipment (a Nikon D7000) and say "Get a D500 and be done with it.". A D500 doesn't fit my budget at this time. And I often find that if I am dissatisfied with results that a change in technique goes a long way towards fixing any perceived problem(s).

Is there a good resource that anyone can recommend that gives good details about capturing birds in flight? Or is this just something I will have to keep trying and trying and trying until I "get it"? I have a copy of Art Morris' "The Art of Bird Photography" somewhere, and I will take another look at it. If anyone has any thoughts of a good website, book, online course, etc. that they have found to be useful then please let me know.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +5 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow