How do photographers get FF equivalent pictures in M43?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 57,436
Re: One more issue...

Klaus dk wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

liopleurodon wrote:

I apologize if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but one advanced way this is done is through the use of full frame DSLR lenses and speedboosters. Essentially a speedbooster is a piece of glass that reduces the size of the image circle from Full Frame to m43. This has the effect of giving the m43 camera the same field of view, depth of field and total light collected as the DSLR lens. So a 50/1.4 FF DSLR lens behaves as if it was a 25/0.7 m43 lens.

There's no 0.5x 'speed booster' available (apart from Pentax Q). Mostly they are 0.71x, so a 50/1.4 lens would be turned into a 35/1.0 lens, not a 25/0.7. Metabones does a 0.64x converter mFT (which is compatible with a limited range of lenses), which turns the 50/1.4 into a 32/0.9 lens. Note also that the converters are thensleves aperture limited, so can't take the f-number below some limit, however fast the attached lens. I can't remember exactly what that is, but don't expect it to go all the way down to f/0.7

...is the one of the microlens covering over the sensor. That is, even given that the focal reducer ("speed booster") can deliver f/0.7 on mFT when applied to an f/1.4 FF lens, it may very well be that the transmission is still limited to t/1.4, or such.

My guess would be that for the shallow DoF afficionados, the T-stop doesn't matter as much as the f-stop.

The microlens thing also affects the DoF blur. Some people might think it's better, because it's akin to fitting an apodised lens (maybe you could call it 'feather boke'), but it certainly reduces it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow