Three weeks of learning photography - what would you do?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 58,112
Re: Three weeks of learning photography - what would you do?

j_eldritch wrote:

I've got some down time at the moment between jobs. I'm new to photography but I've been getting very into it recently, so I'm going to spend the time learning. I plan on treating it like a 9-5 day for the most part (though I've got a couple of other creative projects on the go too).

What would you recommend me, a complete beginner, to do for three weeks to progress my photography as much as possible?

I was thinking of doing an online course like this or getting and following an introductory book (this is about what my budget stretches to). However, I'd love to hear recommendations from some more experienced photographers. What do you wish you had done right at the start? Is there a course, book or exercise you'd recommend?

Here's the thing. The most important thing in photography is the eye for the shot. Most cameras can operate themselves perfectly adequately automatically. Many photographers obsess about technical skills, mainly because they don't have that eye for the shot.

So, my advice is set your camera to auto, go out and take lots of photos, then see what you think they're missing. It might be that you do need to gen up on the technical side, in which case, so so (but take care, because many of the free web tutorials, including ones recommended by some other posters, are rubbish). Or, it might be that the automatic is doing OK for you, in which case, don't bother (unless you want to brag to other photographers about how good you are at 'exposure' - they are the only ones who will be interested, normal people don' care).

-- hide signature --

Ride easy, William.
Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow