Colorful Critters: Purple, Green, Red, Blue, Pink & More

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 30,258
Colorful Critters: Purple, Green, Red, Blue, Pink & More

Continuing with some shots from the wetlands as I finally took a break from my big mega-conversion project updating some old photos in my galleries to larger posting sizes, and downloaded 3 weekends worth of wildlife from my card.

It's so hot during the summer, and so many days are rained out or interrupted by rain, that I generally don't have as many shots worth uploading each day, like during the Fall through Spring season - I might take 100-300 shots per day, and work that down to 40-100 keepers at first cull - then by the time I decide what might be interesting enough to put in my gallery, there might be 10-15 per week to upload.  The following shots are from July 21 and July 29, taken at Green Cay Wetlands and Wakodahatchee Wetlands.

A6300 and FE100-400mm combo as usual, and all shots posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

They are called 'green' iguanas, but most of them are sort of an olive grey green when they're older...the chance to really see them in their most vivid greens is when they're young, like this one sitting on the side of a tree trunk

A juvenile tricolored heron, still with browns in his coat, but getting his blues coming in on his back.  This one was out of the nest and on his own, learning how to fish for himself

Pink isn't the most threatening color in the wild, but regardless of color, when this roseate spoonbill wanted to land on the tree stump, the smaller red-winged blackbird that had been sitting there abandoned it to yield to the larger pink beast

Overcast skies and shooting into strong backlight, but  the roseate spoonbill is a gaudy enough bird that they still look colorful even in grey conditions.  He took over that red-winged blackbird's perch and stood there proudly

The always-lovely green heron, here in his compacted form standing on a reed over the water

A young alligator cruising through the reeds - he looked like he was old enough to learn how to start stalking, as he was moving towards some moorhen chicks nearby.  Though he wasn't really good at it yet, as the moorhens saw him coming and were already alerted and tucking their chicks into the trees

No shortage of moorhen chicks this season - there were thousands of them!  This one mom had an odd batch though - three of her chicks had white coats when they hatched - usually they're all black.  Here's one grown up a bit, standing next to mom and still maintaining much of that white coat

This lizard is mostly olive greens and yellows, but his actual name is 'brown' basilisk...so he fits into today's color theme!

This has been my favorite dead tree for a while - eventually it will lose more limbs or fall down, but for now, the shape and limbs make it photogenic, especially because birds love to occupy the various levels - here a cormorant is at the top, with a grackle to the right, and two anhingas

I don't know my bugs well - so I'm not sure of this one's ID - looks kind of like a milkweed bug shape, but a lovely dark red shade which stood out on the green limb and background.  There seemed to be some kind of eggs lining the end of the limb too, though I'm not sure if they belonged to this bug!

Staying on the color theme, we move to the purple gallinule - who displays purples, blues, reds, light blues, and yellows among his palette

While this wee little butterfly is called a white peacock, he really looks more a variety of tan and beige shades.  They're quite small little critters

A marsh rabbit, smelling the air before crossing an open patch of grass, to make sure there are no predators lurking around

A female anhinga sitting up on a pond-apple branch to dry off in the sun, which was hitting from above and slightly behind, which gave a bit of halo-like back light look

A very unusual thing to see in August - newly hatched great blue heron chicks!  Normally, GBHs nest in winter, around January through early March.  But some seem to be changing their schedules to start breeding in early July, to avoid the crush of wood storks and other nesting birds

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow