Beginning into photography

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Hight Fly Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Beginning into photography

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Hight Fly wrote:

John Michael Winterbourne wrote:

Joe, I realise that you are trying (with no success) to get into a "mine is better than yours" chat with Albert, but you have a recent very polite but also very firm "thanks for your input so far, but no thanks, I'm going with the D300 for now" from the OP.

So I suggest that, however many "respectfullys" you might add, you drop your evangelical approach because OP isn't going to be persuaded at this stage, and the rest of us have heard it all before.

To the OP - I haven't read all of the lens suggestions, but I gather that the 16-80 is getting some good mentions. If it hasn't already been mentioned the earlier 16-85 Nikkor is another option to think about. Not quite as good as the 16-80, but a lot cheaper. You would save enough to be able to add at least one more lens - I would say the Nikon 35/1.8 as a "fast" lens, and a cheap but decent 70-300 to test the telephoto waters.

P.S. I read what you said to Albert about being willing to learn, so I would recommend that you try to get hold of a copy of Thom Hogan's eBook "The complete guide to the Nikon D300". It's not free, but it's good value. It differs from the Nikon User Guide (which is a free downloadable pdf) in that it tells you why you might want to use a particular setting, and then telling you how - rather than just how to do it, which can be rather daunting to a new DSLR user.

Thanks a lot for all of these recommandations.

Indeed, this idea of testing things really interests me, but I guess that, like everyone, I'd like the best from the beginning. I suppose I have to get to know what is the best for me, what I like the most and all of that before investing that much money into one single lens. It just seemed really polyvalent to me. I thought I could get some really nice wide angles photographs, street photographs and portraits. But if the price is really too high I might get the 16-85 at you advise, a prime and a lens.

I'll check some reviews but if the wide angle part good on the Nikon 16-85? I was thinking to use it for everyday usage and all of that but to get a 50mm 1.8G for portraits and then a telephoto lens.

The 16-85 is very good at 16mm; it has some darkness in the corners wide open but that goes away by f/5.6 or so. It's extremely sharp up to about 75mm above which it gets a bit fuzzy.

There are lots of other Nikon DX zooms, most of them starting at 18mm. I think any of the stabilized ones (they have "VR" in their names) are pretty good and used ones should be quite inexpensive. You could look for an 18-140, which might cover your needs for a while.

I am not that familiar with all the (current) Nikon zooms, but I would tend to recommend one starting @ 16mm (24mm-EFL). I think he would appreciate the wider Wide-Angle.

Indeed, I think it would be better.

Because you laud this camera so much I've done many researches and it seems really good. Now let's say I could negotiate with my friends to get it and sell it (he clearly doesn't use it since a few years, it's in his attic), do you reckon that'd be the best solution?

I'd like to have other opinions on this. (Not just you @PhotoTeach2, because it surely looks like you'd say that's a go haha, which would be totally understandable).

If so, would it be better to put a bit more in an upper-model camera? Or a Mirrorless with lenses? Nevertheless, the DSLR option is the one I feel most comfortable with:

• I have to say that the only thing that makes me reluctant with this camera is the "Future-Proof" part. It scares me to invest on a camera if I can't upgrade things on this camera in the future (because it's a bridge).

NEVERTHELESS I want to stress that this probably won't happen, I just keep my horizons broadened to see what is the best for any type of scenarios. I'll ask him very soon.

Furthermore, I am wondering:

Because I want to learn a lot, I also am very interested into post-processing production i.e softwares like Lightroom do edit the pictures. What would suit better then? A DSLR or the bridge? (I consider mirrorless like DSLR in this scenario).

Other than that, I was considering some wider-range options, like the 24-120, what do you think of it? I could zoom more, but wouldn't get the 16-24mm range.

Hight Fly's gear list:Hight Fly's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow