Da Beauty League ice hockey with G85

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mingjai
Mingjai Senior Member • Posts: 1,397
Da Beauty League ice hockey with G85

Hi all--

It's been a while since I've spent much time doing any sports photography, so with the summer ice hockey league running through July and August, I decided it was time to get some practice. I was pleasantly surprised at what I could do with my G85 and 35-100mm/2.8 I in terms of AF, though truth be told, I kept my motor drive dialed back a bit because I wasn't trying to capture every potential moment like the house photogs were with their SLRs. As first-month-of-release owner of a blue G1, I can tell you that m4/3 and the G line of cameras has come a long way!

My general settings were shutter priority (1/640s), auto ISO, +1 EV, AFC, custom multi-point AF (the 5 center boxes forming a "+" shape), motor drive M+LV, JPEG+RAW. With these settings I would say I was probably 80-90% success rate for desired framing, 60-70% for critical focus, and 50% for capturing the desired moment.

These pictures were batch developed from raw in LR, and despite the +1 EV, I still ended up having to increase exposure in post. Shooting through glass also caused some haze-like effects on the images, so I ended up applying a little dehaze in order to get the look I wanted.

Constructive feedback or tips for you've found to work during your sports shoots are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

Bo Brauer (U of Notre Dame - NCAA) and Brady Skjei (New York Rangers)

Kieffer Bellows (Portland Winterhawks - WHL) and Brock Boeser (Vancouver Canucks)

Jake Guentzel (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Nick Leddy (New York Islanders) and Erik Haula (Vegas Golden Knights)

Nate Schmidt (Vegas Golden Knights)

Hunter Warner (Iowa Wild - AHL) and G Brandon Wildung (Utah Grizzlies - ECHL)

James van Riemsdyk (Philadelphia Flyers)

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow