New A900 owner

Started Aug 15, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,308
New A900 owner

I just got an A900. I wanted something native to use my excessive accumulation of A mount lenses on, and the A900 really suited my taste, since it's one of the only two (IIUC) full frame A mount DSLRs. I.e. it's a bit of collector piece, but still something I intend to shoot with as well.

I've been playing around with it a bit today, and a couple of things surprised me:

1. Is there really no feedback as to what ISO is being selected in Auto ISO mode?

2. I have both a Tamron SP 70-300 and Minolta 100-300 APO. It seems to me that the Tamron, with its built-in AF motor, is actually quite a bit slower to lock focus than the screw drive Minolta. Is that correct and typical for this camera?

First impressions are that it's a pretty nicely built machine. Certainly feels like more of a handful than my A7R2, but pretty comfortable to hold and, for the most part, intuitive to use... then again, we've come a long way in ten years... A lot of that feeling of ease of use is simply because there are so many more features in modern cameras. Still, I think I'll have a decent amount of fun with this. One other initial impression is that the IBIS works really well in this camera... it seems to be quite a bit more effective than that of the A7II.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

BTW, any ideas why Long Exposure NR is greyed out?

I don't have much in the way of really special A mount lenses, but I've got good coverage of the range, from the 17-35/2.8-4.0 Tamron, to the 50/1.4 Sony, the Minolta 24-85, the aforementioned 100-300, and even a Tamron 200-400 for the long end of things, and a few others for some variety in overlap. Also a Kenko 1.4X and a Quantary 2X TC, if I feel like fiddling with such things. For a flash I have the Minolta 3600HS(D), which seems to meter perfectly of the A900.

One suggestion that came up on Dyxum was actually to shoot mainly between ISO 320 and 800... that shadow noise can get pretty blotchy below that (and that noise in general gets to be a problem above).

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +34 more
Nikon Coolpix A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow