Beginning into photography

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Hight Fly Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Beginning into photography

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

AlbertTheLazy wrote:

Hight Fly wrote:

I love to learn, this is my passion, therefore I am ready to invest time, may it be months, to learn how to perfectly use my camera and to cover all the possibilities it offers.

An interchangeable lens camera will give you more possibilities. Definitely.

And interchangeable lens camera (ILC) offers the possibilities to add a "fast", (or smaller), prime lens, (as opposed to a larger "zoom").

The "fast" prime can allow images in lower light.

A larger sensor (modern one at least), allows higher ISO, again for lower light, (w/ lower noise).

I am prepared to carry the extra weight, because I used to wear my father's DSLR when I was a child whilst hiking. Since then, I have never wore a mirrorless camera, so I don't know that I'll lose.

For most purposes having a DSLR or a mirrorless of about the same standard is immaterial. 95% of the knowledge that you gain will work with either.

For a beginner with the chance to get a good camera for free the choice is obvious, to me.

No problem with a "free" camera. And if you can combine that with a "cheap" (50 EU as one poster stated), no problem with that either for whatever it allows you to do.

BUT ... rather than consider a $600 lens, the same money can simply buy much much much more. Why "limit" yourself ???

And why carry larger/heavier if you don't have to.

Take the D300. Shop carefully for an older, hence cheaper, zoom to use with it and if you have any money left over get a cheap fast prime -- f:2 or faster in the 35-50mm range.

Yes, but putting a $600+ lens is like putting lipstick on a pig, (as the expression has been said).

Use that combination for a year and then either build on it or decide what would suit your (by then known) needs better.

I consider this idea of not investing too much, because, you are right, 600€ is a budget.

Now let's turn the question the other way around: how could I do to have the best quality possible, the best compromises (for you @PhotoTeach2 ) on the DSLR Nikon D300? What lens(es) should I get to have very sharp images to enjoy thoroughly my dive into the world of photography.

Because if you say that the 16-80mm costs too much money for what I get for, I totally understand, but I am wondering if I would really enjoy having the 16-85mm then.

I haven't checked yet how much I can get one for. I will do that today.

Thanks again for everything guys, it really helps having all those different points of views and advices from experienced photographers!

Regards

Hight Fly's gear list:Hight Fly's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow