Debating between Sony E 35 1.8 and FE 35 2.8

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,852
Debating between Sony E 35 1.8 and FE 35 2.8

I am most likely going to sell my a7r3 and stick to an APS-C system. On my last trip it was such a joy to carry the a6300 with the 10-18 and a6500 with the 16-70 (probably will replace it with 18-135) all day and not have a sore shoulder.

From my other thread you may know I have been working on a prime kit to compliment my zooms. If I went with a two zoom/2 prime traveling kit. I may want either the Sony FE 35 2.8 or the E 35 1.8 for the normal range lens. I am planning on the Voightlander 15 4.5 for my wide prime - very low distortion, small and very sharp.

I have been reading reviews about both 35s, it appears there may not be much difference in total sharpness when shooting at 5.6. The 2.8 version is twice as much and it a tad lighter and smaller (and slower). What could be the difference maker is how fast each lens focuses. For landscapes not an issue but for my grandson's basketball game it could be a good lens for the church gym he plays in. My go to sports lens is the GM 70-200 but in the church gym I am too close to the basket to use that lens. If I stand farther away then I am only getting the backside of the players.

I will eventually add a 50 or 55 prime to complete my desired prime trilogy and my understanding is focusing speed is much better with FE 55 so my guess is the same may be true with the FE 35. I think distortion may be less with the FE version, especially if used on a crop camera. But in that small and very poorly lit gym 1.8 would be better.

Gary

-- hide signature --
 gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Sony a6300 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow