Would you want this?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlwaysLearning4 Regular Member • Posts: 140
Would you want this?

I've noticed that many photographers who own high end hear sometimes leave it at home because it's too big and bulky, particularly if they just spent hours at work hauling it around. Of course there are many casual users who are bothered by the weight as well.

It's not just weight either, for casual shooting, the Mirrorless/DSLR workflow takes much longer then smartphone photography. No direct upload to SMedia, have to wait for files to import/render in LR or other software etc. Yes,  IQ will be better with intense editing but I think there's a middle ground of people who want better-then-cellphone IQ but not enough to justify lugging around a dedicated camera.

My Idea: a system of TINY, large(ish) sensored -prime pancake lenses that attach to back of cellphones.

Create a couple of tiny pancake prime lenses that have an integrated larger sensor. Say the equivalent of a 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm lens. These pancakes lenses can attach directly to the back of the cellphone near the rear camera via a little notch. Integrating the sensor with the lens makes it smaller, being a prime, smaller. Say a cropped (1.5x) sensor with an 1.8 lens, or even a m43rds sensor. By attaching it to a smartphone, users can have the convenience of direct upload to SMedia because that's what this is all about right? Convenience. And if users really wanted, the IQ would be there to do real post to it, something users couldn't do with dedicated cameras because they wouldn't be carrying it to get the shot in the first place.

Extra credit would be adding a tiny projector near the selfie camera to double as an EVF. Now  I want one! Many pros don't want to lug around their gear after work, they might want one too. Many enthusiast as well. How about you guys?

(I have more radical ideas to improve IQ in these pancakes while keeping the size down but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole until I know the concept itself is good. I will add that if dedicated cameras also mounted these pancake lenses it will let the huge amount of smartphone user sample what a real camera could do for them and draw them into DSLR/Mirrorless world. After all, if they already own some lenses, it's not hard to rationalize buying one camera body for superior speed, ergonomics etc. And once they have a body there's a really cool zoom lens they could benefit from, they already own the body ...)

AlwaysLearning4's gear list:AlwaysLearning4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow