Decentered lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sphinx_man Regular Member • Posts: 394
Decentered lens?

Hi all - While hiking in the mountains last week, dropped the A6500 with attached SEL18200 and it fell with a clang! Checked for damages, found none superficially, focussing looked OK and carried on merrily with shooting the landscapes. Came back and started checking the images on the computer  and while a few were sharp across the frame many were blurred to some extent and then I realized that the lens elements might have moved during fall and there may be some decentering issues crept in...

Jumped on the youtube and found few videos explaining how to test for a decentered lens and followed this video https://youtu.be/FfLedrZ37As  - downloaded the image, pasted it on the wall, foucussed on the center circle and then defocussed slightly and shot images at different focal lengths and apertures (camera on a steady surface, shutter release with a remote). Later I cropped the center circle area and pasted them together to check for distorted circle(s) as was suggested in the video. To my eyes, there doesn't seem to be a big distortion of any sort (to make the center circle into an ellipse, oblong or oval). But I am not too sure...

Would greatly appreciate if you can have a look at the image(s) and let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers

SG

Sphinx_man's gear list:Sphinx_man's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +1 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow