Beginning into photography

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 16,325
Re: Beginning into photography

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Hight Fly wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

May I respectfully ask WHY the "D300". Do you have a used one on a special deal available ???

That is now an older camera and may I suggest you look at Mirror-Less cameras.

AND if budget is an issue, may I suggest you can get a lot more for your money with a 1"-type bridge camera, (ala FZ-1000).

ALL Mirror-Less cameras do things not possible w/ dSLR's, (because of the inherent limitations of their "mirrors").

That is indeed a good point you raise. When I started doing my researches, like you advised, I oriented myself towards Mirrorless Cameras, more specifically the Olympus EM-10 II (that is what I thought I'd get at the end of my researches). But after a while, an acquaintance of mine told me he had an old D300 in perfect condition he did not use, so he's gonna give to me.

Long story short, I'm gonna get the D300 in perfect condition for free.

Well ... can't argue with "free" ... LOL

And the D300 is not a "bad" camera. BUT ... you do need to consider what your (eventual) cost for "lenses" will be, (albeit you can get used from eBay, etc.).

Do you reckon it is still better to invest on a Mirrorless camera?

Well ... maybe ...

And the Olympus is also good, BUT ... again you will eventually spend a lot on lenses.

I can only "suggest" you may want to "look" at a FZ-1000 first ... it could still be your cheapest and BEST option.

A STEAL-VALUE @ only $600 new, (<$500 used), with (close-focusing) "continuous" zoom lens that is wider/longer/FASTER then typical "kit" lenses. (25-400mm-EFL @ f/2.8-4)

It has features that are not possible w/ dSLR's or Interchangeable lens cameras.

It has a faster AF and better (5-axis) Image-Stabilization than dSLR, (which is limited to 2-axis In-Lens VR).

Frame rate to 12fps.

And even 4K-video.

With EVF you have a direct visual-feedback when making exposure/WB adjustments/corrections and "zebras" for easy/FAST exposure optimization via ETTR.

(so it is MUCH faster/easier to LEARN to use, and eventually get better-exposed images w/ lower-noise) Note that is also has a "Hand-Held NIGHT-shot" mode for lower-light.

And what could be very important, is that it has a "LEAF" shutter than can flash-sync at ANY shutter speed so you can get SUN-light fill-flash to 20', (w/ BUILT-IN FLASH).

A free D300 is a hard deal to beat. Note that the D300 can use thousands of lenses old and new. There are lots of inexpensive used Nikkors; the D300 works fine with manual focus AI lenses, some of which are excellent optics. The D300 has excellent autofocus and is very responsive. The only areas where it shows its age are high ISO noise and the fact that it's only 12MP.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow