Olympus TG5...What is wrong?? :-)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Senior Member • Posts: 2,926
Olympus TG5...What is wrong?? :-)

Hi,

Last year I had bought the TG4 and sold it just after the summer, being unhappy by its IQ. This year, I decided to give the tough series another shot mainly being attracted by the FTON-01 wide lens.

To my surprise, IQ has been much better than what I expected!!

1) ORF files contain certainly less information than 1", but they are still usable.

2) The FTON-01 wide lens is a must especially for UW shots

3) In camera focus stacking works great

4) For its size, I think its the best UW/family camera one can buy. We also have the RX100 III and an Ikelite Action Housing which seems to have more detail in the images but its bigger and its UW lens is not as wide as the TG5. For comparison reasons here are some samples from the RX100:

PP from RAW

PP from RAW

PP from RAW

4) AWB and colors have been impressive:

SOC... There is some tendency for more red (check the bubbles) but overall colors and impression are better than what I can achieve in LR with the ORF files

SOC!! While I played with the ORF files, I still like the JPEG better!!

Again SOC

This one was pp from the ORF (RAW) file in LR. Original SOC comes next...

Blues are better, but there are heavy shadows and there is more red than the actual one. Original hair is like the previous photo and not red.

SOC... Too much red and also some white reflections while shooting against the sun. Next comes my pp from the RAW file

My pp from the RAW file. Still I can't get rid of all the red without affecting total picture quality

This one was pp from the ORF (RAW) file in LR. Original SOC comes next...

SOC...not sure which one I like more, but its also very nice!

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Olympus TG-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +7 more
Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow