Beginning into photography

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
AlbertTheLazy
AlbertTheLazy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,636
Re: Beginning into photography

Hight Fly wrote:

Thanks for your quick feedback, I really do appreciate.

I reckon it'd indeed better to start with a zoom, I just read my stuff saying that it is also good to start with primes to "learn how to move and not just rely on your camera" which makes sense but is a bit... Stretched out. If you see what I mean.

Actually, you are better off using a zoom as an aid to learning 'how to move'. The important thing in photography is getting the camera in the right place to take the picture you want.

So often you see people arrive in front of an attractive view, whip out the camera, zoom and click. Bingo! Their shot includes lamp posts, railings, bin, all sorts of things that moving to find a better shot would avoid.

Shooting distance controls perspective so that is an important part of 'the right place'.

My way of doing that is to leave the camera in its bag and walk around until I find the angle and the shooting distance that I need to get the shot I want. Then the camera comes out and I choose the focal length I need to frame my shot.

If you only have a single prime that reduces your options.

Sorry I can't advise on specific lenses.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Having fun with my cameras

AlbertTheLazy's gear list:AlbertTheLazy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow