Beginning into photography

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,295
Re: Beginning into photography

I'd recommend one of the zooms. When you don't know yet what you're going to shoot, the 16-80 mm is a good universal lens that will enable you to find which focal lengths works best for you. Even if you later find you prefer shooting primes - and a few photographers do - you have a lens you can use in the cases where a prime would be too limiting.

I have a Canon 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 and a 17-55 f/2.8 and I use both, the former when I have good light and want to be able to shoot a variety of subjects, the latter for low light and perhaps combined with my 50-150 f/2.8.

Since the 50-150 is no longer manufactured, I'd recommend the Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 for portraiture.

Don't worry about the sharpness of the better zooms, they're absolutely adequate. If sharpness is an issue, stay clear of superzooms. You can see reviews of many lenses on opticallimits.com.

Good luck and good light.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow