Getting my V1 back. Selling my J5

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,176
Re: I Just Acquired A V1

cyuill2007 wrote:

Congratulations on your acquisition of the V1! I think you will like this camera very much. It can be quirky and frustrating to use sometimes, but it has been my main photo and video camera for the last five and a half years because it produces results I like in a nice, compact package. Play around with various settings. Try shooting in Monochrome and at high ISOs. I think you will find the results will remind you of photos captured on 35mm film.

I would highly recommend getting the FT-1 adapter. I have used it to mount various F-mount lenses to my two V1 bodies. It works quite well with AF-S lenses, albeit you only get to use the center AF point. The V1 + FT-1 + 70-300mm AF-S VR FX lens was the configuration I used most for bird photography for over five years. I'm afraid I can't say how it works with the new AF-P lenses, which should be the F-mount lenses that work best of all with Nikon 1 cameras. When I tried to try out the new FX version of the AF-P 70-300mm lens my V1 wouldn't recognize the lens. It appears I will need to upgrade the firmware on my V1 bodies and FT-1 adapter to make them compatible.

Have fun with your new old camera.

After updating they work great together, the V1, the FT-1, and the AF-P lens(es)!

My firmware versions are:

A: 1.40

B: 1.40

L: 1.20

Here are a couple of shots, I just took, with the AF-P 18-55 VR, a surprisingly decent lens.

No PP applied, just shot as RAW and opened up in the since long disbanded Apple Aperture, and exported to DPReview!

As usual, minimum focusing distance at the long end is a bit longer than at the wide end, so I might have been a bit too close for shot #2 (the AF thought it good enough, but I am sure I would have gotten an even better result a little further away)!

Delightful lens, considering its low street value, and most processing programs take care of the distortion (Aperture does not, but DXO does it with ease, for instance).

All the best,

Tord

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Ricoh, Sony, and Nikon user/owner.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow