taking night images with iso 6400 and bumping ss by -xEV raised some questions.

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
spike29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
taking night images with iso 6400 and bumping ss by -xEV raised some questions.

I had nothing to do so i played a bit with monopod supporting night shots of a harbor (lights by night) .Bit of spontaneous excercise waiting until trafficjam was gone. did't do much dark/night shooting and certainly not "handheld supported monopod". so i am fairly new about this technique.(the skil about clean nice images of night scenery i mean.)

Just wanted to see what a modern pp application could manage to improve NR wise and if i underexpose would this be possible in post to be corrected and which approach would be better.

most shots were iso6400 (my absolute max iso setting) and did around 1/6s (f4.0) or 1/13s (f2.8) (dual IS2).

So to gain less motionblur i did lower EV compensation just to see if i could raise ev in post enough.  (did dial to -5EV, yes extreme.) (camera on Intelligent iso)

ive got some interesting result: iso 1600 f3.7 1/125s -5ev 31mm  vs iso6400 f4.0 1/15s 60mm.  first view did let me see that -5ev is a bit over the top because the red of a lamp is showing in the  image wile raising EV by smartlighting and EV compensation. or it is noise of the sensor which i amplify by raising shadow).

Got me thinking about the difference of camera ev compensation and post EV compensation. (and i realise that most of this questions are basic knowledge for most of you so please bare with me :-).)

- Is changing the EV compensation (camera dail) to -5 causing a heavenly underexposure (so SS goes up) the same as locking iso, Aperture and SS manually  to get a -5EV? So the raw file image quality (noise wise) is the  same?

- So is the camera EV Compensation Dail a quick and safe way to get some stretch if SS or ISO needs some adjustment wile f-number got the same? And how much is preferable? (-3EV max?)

- Iso invariance , that iso6400 0EV the same result is a iso800 3 stops underexposed raised in post. (i my case would a iso1600 (-2 stops) plus a SS 1stop shorter (total -3EV) give (theoretical) a better endresult in post wile gaining better focused/less motionblur image? => (somewhere in BoBn2's postes i lurked i read something about difference between iso raising (0EV) and underexpose on purpose keep iso and raise EV in post would be small.)

- underexposing to gain SS in the same Iso value and Aperture does give more noise raising shadow  in post or not?

and finaly : what would be the thumb-rules in night/evening photography?

Thanks in advanced for learning me some stuff.

-- hide signature --

knowledge is addictive, every time i get some i want more.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(If i can remember 1/1000 of everything i learned/read in the past i will be happy as a monky with........)

spike29's gear list:spike29's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow