D500 ISO and Noise

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LondonWhiteWalker
LondonWhiteWalker Regular Member • Posts: 108
D500 ISO and Noise

Ok so bear with me on this one as it's easy to explain in my head but might not be in text.

So i have my D500 on auto iso and the max iso is set to 3200. I take a photo and the iso indicator in the VF is flashing which means that it wants more but i take the photo anyway.

Here is my question. If i set my iso to a max of 6400 would the noise be better than it would be at 3200 due to the camera having what it needs if that makes sense instead of 3200 and it doing something else and causing more noise ?

I'm just wondering if the higher the iso, the more the camera uses the better it handles it and the algorithm in the camera works better when it comes to noise.
I ask this as in the past i've had photos in dark situations like dim lit tunnels have come out a lot smoother with a higher iso than they have at 3200 in daylight.

What are your thoughts ?

LondonWhiteWalker's gear list:LondonWhiteWalker's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D500 Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +1 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow