Smartphones - the greatest thing that ever happened in photography

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bob A L Senior Member • Posts: 1,867
Smartphones - the greatest thing that ever happened in photography

Really came home to me watching the PGA championships. 100,000 + people and at least half to three-quarters of them blasting away taking photos and video's with their smartphones.  Not a regular camera to be seen.  That's like a 50,000 to 1 ratio.  And I think about myself and all the money I have spent in the last 50 years or so trying to find a camera that did a respectable job that I could carry with me 100% of the time without even being aware I had it. I tried 110 instamatics including pentax 110slr, 126, minox, 1/2 frame oly, 35mm point and shoots and the only ones that did even acceptable quality were the 35mm compacts with my little olympus xa being favorite. But it still took huge pockets or a pouch of some kind to pack it in.  Now that quest is finally over and  I always have my phone which fits in pants pocket without even a bulge or hinderance of any kind. It's just something like my car keys, or billfold that is always there without any inconvenience at all. And it does a much better job of producing images than even the best of my 35mm compacts, much less all the others. Then like that isn't enough, it has within it's small frame a hundred or so photo albums  to share with friends in person or via electronic transfer at any instant.

So we now have probably millions of people taking pictures that did not take pictures on a regular basis or at all, before cell phones with decent cameras included came to be. I can't help but think that this will eventually pep up the real camera market to some extent as the potential user base is significantly higher than it was 10 to 15 years ago. And if nothing else many more folks are learning to appreciate the value of photographs.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow